- This is shockingly bad. It’s like the Chernobyl of oil spills. We’re going to be living with the fallout from this (no pun intended) for decades.
- Barack Obama is a putz. All of his for-the-cameras “outrage” and tough talk is cringe-inducing, to say the least. From the way this Administration is talking, you’d think that BP is purposefully taking its time trying to clean this thing up. I mean, what was all that bilge last week about how the US government was going to step in and “push BP aside” if they don’t succeed in capping the well? If they think they can do it better, why haven’t they stepped in already? The fact of the matter is that BP is probably the best-equipped organization on the planet to find a solution to this.
- The fact that BP didn’t have much of a contingency plan in place before this happened is utterly insane.
- The real losers in this are the fishermen and other people who make their livelihoods from the Gulf. The environmental consequences are going to be massive, but they can and will be mitigated. But I have my doubts that some of these industries are ever going to recover to what they used to be.
- The populist outrage is understandable, given the circumstances, but the people screaming “BP, you ruined our futures and our heritage” seem to be missing part of the story. Fishing boats use diesel and that diesel comes from somewhere, after all. I guess people in the Gulf only use petroleum products from Shell.
- People using this disaster as a convenient talking point against using fossil fuels make me want to puke.
- People using this disaster as a convenient talking point against the “deregulation” bogeyman also make me want to puke.
- Wasn’t part of the problem the fact that the regulators themselves were bought off? Ah! But if we only had better regulators…
- Glenn Beck is a putz. Good grief.
- People using this disaster as a convenient talking point about how this is “Obama’s Katrina” make me want to puke. This is bad, and the Obama Administration has looked like a bunch of useless, finger-pointing clowns, but last I heard no major American cities have yet been effectively obliterated.
- People are freaking crazy. Excerpt:
I’m coming to believe that some bad folks are intentionally destabilizing the earth’s crust, predisposing (if not actually causing) earthquakes & potentially a shift in the Earth’s orbit.
- Potential solution to the cleanup problem: Jheri curl revival?
- But seriously, all of this is totally depressing.
- I’ve been listening to a lot of Steely Dan lately.